Monday, December 9, 2013

A Childhood Memory

This was from a while ago, I can't believe I forgot to post it. Here it is:


Today, I learned the name of those flower shrubs that grew near my house.  They were behind the playground in the cul-de-sac.  Potentilla.  I never knew what they were called.  To me, they were just those flowers.
The white ones looked like daisies.  Because they were white and had yellow centers.  The yellow ones were the same, but they were yellow.
There were lots of them in the summertime.  They grew on bushes.  The bushes looked the same for both the yellow and the white flowers.  (in later years I would discover that there could be pink ones, but back then, there was only white and yellow)  To this day, I still like the white and yellow ones. They always seem to have more flowers than the pink ones.
I used to pick those little flowers off the bush.  Sometimes I would put them in my hair, but they were so small they fell out.  Mostly I played the game that the girls played with daisies in the story books or cartoons.  Each little flower had five round petals.  They were perfect for that daisy game, since I thought the white ones were daisies anyway.  I remember preferring the white ones.
He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not.
I had no idea who “he” was.  I still don’t.  It didn’t matter.  He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me!
The last petal was always the same, whoever he was, he loved me alright.  I kept playing the game to make sure. 
One day, I tried starting with “He loves me not” instead of “he loves me”. The flower ended with He loves me not!  I counted the petals, there were five.  I didn’t know what odd and even numbers were back then, but that day I learned that when a flower has five petals, whatever you start with will be what you end with.
No more surprises.  I knew, from that day one, “he” would always, always love me.

Years later, in our new house: Mom put some shrubs with the same yellow flowers in front of our house.  I decided that someday, I will remember the white ones too.  They look more like daisies.

No comments:

Post a Comment