Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Burnt Tongue, An Epic Poem in Four Parts by Lenitschka

Side note: this is the backstory to one of Jonathan's poems

Part 1

That sip of tea was really hot
I think my tastebuds like it not

But then I want to be polite
So I raise my cup and try I might

To drink yet one more scalding sip
I hesitate, then purse my lips.

I cannot take one more swig, no no
Too bad; all eyes are on me in slow mo

And so I drink as I know I must
My tastebuds, however, have bit the dust.

Part 2

Three days since I sat at Eugene’s table
And still I eat and am not yet able

To savour a steak, a cookie, or ice cream
My favourite foods seem but a dream

For I cannot taste it, none of it
It slips down my throat bit by bit

And I enjoy none, not one swallow.
My belly is full, yet I feel hollow.

Curse you, Eugene, and your scalding tea.
I will avenge what you have done to me.

Part 3

Outside his parlour I do wait,
A scalding beverage will be my bait

I lay outside my enemies door, then hide
He will come when I lure him outside

He hears the alarm and Eugene comes running
Haha, no challenge to my cunning

He finds at his door my cup and saucer
Then picks it up, the silly tosser.

And soon he chokes and falls down sick,
As befits a tea of arsenic.

Part 4

Perhaps I should not have been so proud
Or at least not quite so loud

In my complaints against the dearly departed
My arrest was made before the autopsy started

My lawyer also could make no convincing case
When I cackled evilly in the judge’s face

So now I set in cell block three
Drinking thoroughly lukewarm tea.


And I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment