Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Dialogue between a brother and an adopted brother - by Sasha


Relationship: Brother and adopted brother
Prompt: You see an open coffin. You’re inside it.

“You don’t think it’s alive, do you?”

“No, it can’t be.”

“It looks like it’s twitching.”

“No… no it doesn’t! You’re just trying to scare me.”

“I dare you to touch it.”

“Are you crazy? I’m not going near it!”

“But it looks just like you!”

“You’re lying!”

“No I’m not! See that huge, ugly birthmark under his eye? I’d recognize that monstrosity anywhere.”

“Hey! Mom said you’re not allowed to make fun of me.”

“You mean my mom said that.”

“I’m gonna tell Mom you were being mean to me!”

“Sh! Sh!”

“What?”

“I think it just moved.”

“I’m not going to fall for that again, Aaron.”

“No, Josh, I’m serious. Be quiet.”

“You think that just because you’re older than me that you can scare me, but you can’t. Mom says I’m too smart for that.”

“Dude, shut up!”

“I’m not –”

“Sh!”

“… Aaron? … Aaron, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Well if you’re too chicken to check it out, then it looks like I have to!”

“No you don’t!”

“I just want to see what will happen.”

“There’s a reason that old lady moved out of this house, Aaron. It’s creepy. I don’t think we should be in here.”
                                                
“See? You’re just chickening out again, you big baby. I should have left you outside.”

“I’m not a chicken! This is wrong! You shouldn’t touch that thing!”

“Nothing’s going to happen, sissy. You’ve been watching too many scary movies.”

“Mom wouldn’t want us to come here. She’ll be so mad when she finds out.”

“If you care so much about what my mom thinks, you can leave!”

“I’m not gonna leave you in here with it!”

“Josh, it’s so gross. Check it out. The eyeballs are all yellow.”

“Come on, Aaron, let’s go!”

“I’m gonna touch it.”

“No! Stop!”


“Josh?”

“Josh, where’d you go? Where’d you take the coffin?”

“If you’re just trying to freak me out, that’s a stupid little kid thing to do.”

“Dude, I’m serious. You need to come out right now or we’re gonna get into so much trouble.”

“Josh?”

“If you’re trying to get back at me, it’s not gonna work. I’m going back outside and you’re gonna be in this creepy house all by yourself.”

“OK, that’s it! I’m leaving! See you, loser!”


“Hey mom.”

“Aaron! Did you have fun at the park?”

“Yeah, whatever, parks are for kids.”

“Of course, I must have forgotten.”

“Ugh. What are you doing, anyway? Planting a garden or something?”

“Oh, not really. I just thought it would be nice to grow some flowers and bring them over to Mrs. Hewitt.”

“I thought Mrs. Hewitt moved out like two years ago?”

“What? Of course not, honey. We were over just last week, remember?”

“No.”

“Well, I guess it’s better that you’ve pushed it out of your mind. It’s terrible really, I can’t stop thinking about it. Her only son, just a little boy. He was so cute, with that little birthmark under his eye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment