Sunday, January 12, 2014

Magic Cow - Grievances by Lenitschka


Dear BA in English Graduate,

Farms are not very interesting places. I have no idea why it’s been decided that so many epics should start here. I could easily provide the same services in a palace, or perhaps in a grand hotel, but NOOOO, epics begin with simple homespun farm kids to make them more, well, for lack of a better word, more epic, and so I have waited here.

You should also know that barns are horribly drafty places. There really is no where suitable to get a full eight hours of sleep, which makes me cranky and ineffective in my work. Straw doesn’t really taste that good. It disagrees with me, and then there’s the noise! The sheep are the worst. Do they ever shut up? Well, as someone who has spent more than one night trying to get their beauty sleep in the next pen, let me tell you. They. Never. Stop. Ba-ing.

This whole producing milk thing isn’t that comfortable either. I’d say more on the matter, but I don’t think it would suit polite company.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I love my role. I like that heroes come to me with trust in their eyes before they leave their simple farms in forgotten little mountain towns and disappear into the forest with  parcels tied to sticks and naïve smiles on their faces. I like that they misinterpret how to use my magical powers and get into further scrapes, and I simply love it when I get to be the lynch pin and bring down my good friends Giant or Hairy Beast. They have good stories and sometimes even smash this infernal barn, but I am not a happy bovine. I am trapped between two worlds. I must both be simple to suit the farm world and ethereal to suit the mystical world.

How does one act ethereal with droopy eyes? I never have been able to figure it out. Also, how does one stay in a positive professional relationship with chickens? Having superpowers is much less cool when you are large, slow, have dopey eyes, and sound like a zombie when you try and say hello.

It is for these reasons I think you should reconsider my application to transfer from Magical Cow to Magical Chihuahua. I understand that dragon is out of the question. Not enough heroes keep them as pets, but the amenities of a lap dog would be much more to my taste.

Thank you for your consideration. I love forward to meeting you in person so we can further discuss how to make my position more suitable.

Sincerely,

Magic Cow

1 comment: