Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Great Deception by Lenitschka

The moon was bright, but everything looked darker than usual. The shadows were long, and deep. You could be two steps in front of a man before you knew he was there, leaning against the wall, dragging on his cigarette and appraising you with his eyes. I moved faster.

I could still feel eyes following me as I crossed the street. Long after I my admirers were engulfed in shadows.

My heels echoed on the pavement with every step I took. I’d practiced walking in these shoes, pacing back and forth across my studio apartment until my downstairs neighbour started banging on his ceiling with a broom. If he hadn’t forced me to stop, I could have practiced more, and not feel now like I was tipping over with each step I took. I’d have to practice again when he wasn’t home. That is if I if I didn’t mess it up tonight.

This was the corner. I looked around. Movements in the shadows. Probably just another coxcomb or two waiting for something more interesting to come along. I unbuttoned my coat, and started walking slower, looking around me and suppressing the urge to bite my lip. If I didn’t get this right, it was out the door for me, and who knew where I’d go from there. I forced myself to look into the shadows.

Another puff of smoke from the darkness. I smiled in its general direction. There was a slight movement, as the fella walked towards me. I could hardly see his face beneath his fedora.

“Hey darlin,” he said, taking a puff, and exhaling right in my face. He was good looking, but that didn’t really matter.

I batted my eyelashes and smiled.

“Hey handsome.”

“Looking for a quick payday?”

Again, smoke right in my face. Could he not set his light down long enough for a conversation? I kept looking at him right in the face.

“Depends on the number,” I said.

He grinned and let me haggle over the price. I might be new at this but I’d done my research. I wasn’t about to be caught for a fool.

He handed me half of our agreed price. I smiled and leaned into his ear.

“Meet me around the corner.”

I walked away, ducking into an alleyway filled with shadows. Another fella was already waiting there, puffing on a cigar instead of a cigarette.

“What took you so long?” he asked.

“It’s not so easy,” I shot at him. “You try it.”

He laughed and put out his cigar, pulling out his handcuffs, just in time for my would be client to come around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment