Monday, September 9, 2013

Circus Sideshow

This was for the "bring in the ninjas" exercise on Monday the 9th of September.

It was amidst the dry monotony of mid-summer that it happened. I was at that time on janitorial duty in the mess hall. It wasn’t a bad job to say the least. It gave me a great deal of time to think. It would be another week before Lisa or Brett would come to visit and I had lost the will to continue watching the news, or any of the benign broadcasts that were allowed into my cell at night.
     The claustrophobic condition of being locked in a small cell with five others had long since worn off, but the days were getting longer. Time is supposed to stretch in here I suppose. 
     I was mopping the floors along with five others in the mess hall. It was nearing the first lunch rotation and I was staring at the progressively browning bucket of soap and bleach when they came. There must have been dozens of them. Inmates dressed like clowns. Bowties, oversized shoes, wigs, white make-up and red felt noses and all. There must have been at least fifty of them. I don’t know how they did, or why, but they marched into the mess hall and started turning over tables. Two of them came up to me and pushed me up against the wall. I didn’t resist. How could I? I couldn’t even think of a course of action to take. They bound my hands and feet with duct tape and I was left to watch the whole event unfold. They took crowbars to the kitchen doors and pried them open and before you know it the kitchen staff were being pulled out one by one and bound.
     One of the clowns stood on a short tower of tables he and his crew had assembled.
     ‘We will not take this oppression any longer! We want what we want and we’re not going to stop until we get it!’
     An eruption of cheers burst from the felt ridden masses.
     ‘Warden! Warden! Come down here with your guards if you dare! We have terms! We have leverage!’ The spokesman was shouting at the cameras. What guards were present had already been overwhelmed and bound. I saw one of the kitchen staff lose his breakfast onto the recently polished linoleum. I looked over to the bleach bucket I once controlled confidently, hoping for the day to end sooner. I began searching the clowns for weapons. Was there a chance that I might not survive this day? How did they overtake the guards? They must have had something. ‘These people think that because we are felons, that our sense of entitlement is unfounded. That because we have broken man-made laws, that we are unworthy beings lower than dust. We say no. We say that today is our day. We want what we deserve as human being living in a civilized nation. Come down! Come to our level! See what we are capable of, both in veracity and in compassion. All of these prisoners of prisoners will be set free. We will go back to our lowly cages. We do not ask much, but our demands must be met or this circus sideshow will continue indefinitely!’

-Eric T. Behr

     

1 comment: