Monday, September 16, 2013

Purple Parkas or The Random Wheel of Winter's Fate

     It was the heart of winter and the winds billowed through the streets covering them with the white powder typical of the solstice. I walked penitently, pulling the collar of my wholly inadequate coat to the brim of my nose in a desperate attempt to keep the freezing air out of my lungs.
     I had not yet received any royalties off of the solo album I had spent months composing and recording in a damp studio beneath Fifty First Street and money was getting tighter and tighter. I wondered if I had any bread left in the apartment to make some buttered toast. I wholly doubted it and was sure that ache in my belly was not to leave for some time.
     The snow kept pushing further and further into my eyes as I walked toward my poorly insulated apartment in hope of some shelter. I had a few inches on the many candles around the flat that might give the few square feet a bit of warmth.
     What could have possibly happened? I thought it was a dynamite record as did my manager, but nobody seemed to be buying. Once in a while I would head over to Toni’s Records and examine my album in front of the other customers to possibly increase some interest, but it was to no avail. Maybe it was time to write something new. Something different. Maybe I could score some commercials or do a Christmas album. Those always seemed to sell. Or perhaps I could do what everyone wanted me to do. I could get a respectable job somewhere fixing shoes or work my way into the bonds market. These were the thoughts that grazed my mind as I pushed through the snow.
     I came at last to my small apartment and went to grab my key. I reached down into my jacket pocket only to find an unfamiliar hole. There was no key. There was no entrance.
     Alas I sat on the front steps to the building, unsure as to what would be my fate. Would I freeze to death on these cold concrete steps? It seemed likely. I could not see more than a few feet through the continuing blizzard and I could not get inside. There was nowhere to go and I was unsure that my feet would take me. I tried to breathe hot air onto my numbing fingertips but my breath cooled before it reached its target.
     All seemed lost when out of the unbreachable torrent of frozen precipitate came a purple parka and bright pink snow pants. The colorful figure approached the building and me. It was a young woman. The brightness of her attire stood in stark contrast to me in my dark, cold and inadequate drabs. She didn't notice me at first with her eyes staring intently at the ground which became more and more difficult to find. Once noticed, I gave the slightest of waves.
     ‘Oh! Hi!’ She said, ‘Have you been here long? Do you live in this building?’
     ‘I live in this building yes. I've lost my key. I seem to have a hole in my pocket. I don’t know what else to do. Could you perhaps let me in?’
     ‘Of course! Even if you don’t live here it would be ludicrous to make you stay out in this blizzard. You might die for heaven’s sake. Come in. We’ll call the landlord and get you another key.’
     ‘Thank you. Thank you.’
     She helped me indoors, and led me to her apartment. I was allowed to have a seat and my gracious host got me a warm of tea. Once I had relaxed a little she sat down across from me. She looked at me curiously.
     ‘I know you! You’re a musician aren't you?’
     ‘Yes, yes I am.’
     ‘I have your record. I bought it at Toni’s a couple of days ago. This is so exciting! You’re a genius.’
     ‘Beethoven was a genius, I just write folk songs.’
     ‘But your work is good. I like it.’
     ‘Well thank you.’
     We talked and talked for hours and eventually started dating. We live together now and she pays the rent while I write and sing and all is well.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment